Why do I call this recipe “Special Occasion Strawberry Shortcake?” Well, because it is the richest sugary recipe I have ever used. You don’t want to eat this all summer long, but it sure is fun to wow your guests with the unusual flavors of this amazing recipe once in awhile. I have no idea who to create with this recipe. My forgetfulness can be blamed on the post baby memory gap after my third child when someone brought this delicious treat to us days after I had Caiden. It has been a special occasion favorite ever since.
Normally I tweak recipes to make the healthier, but with this one I have just left it alone. Enjoy it now and again.
Special Occasion Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
1 box of Duncan Hines Classic Yellow Cake Mix
1 box of Jell-O Instant Vanilla Pudding
¾ cup of Crisco Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Baking Shortening
¾ cup Sherry Cooking Wine
1 ounce bottle of McCormick Imitation Butter Flavor
½ cup sugar
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
Strawberries (with our without sugar)
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. Mix together the cake mix, instant Jell-O; butter flavored baking shortening, sherry, eggs and imitation butter flavor.
3. Grease either 1 cake pan or 2 loaf pans with butter baking shortening.
4. In a separate container mix sugar and ground cinnamon.
5. Coat entire greased pan with sugar/cinnamon mixture and set any extra aside.
6. Pour cake batter into the single or double pans. Sprinkle the entire top of the cake with left over sugar/cinnamon mixture. If you don’t have enough left over to coat the entire cake make some extra sugar/cinnamon mixture to complete the job.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until a fork can puncture the center of the cake and come out dry.
8. While cake is baking prepare the strawberries. If you want super sweet juicy strawberries add a touch of sugar to cut strawberries and set into the refrigerator while the cake bakes. You can make your own whipped cream or used premade whipped cream.
Leave a Reply