I’ve had friends putting butter in their coffee for years. I did not jump on that bandwagon right away. I had serious reservations about the entire idea of butter in my coffee. I mean, come on, why ruin a perfectly good cup of coffee with butter and why waste butter in my coffee? But alas the day came when I needed to give up the honey and cream that I use in my coffee when I joined the Best Day Ever Challenge with my friend Anne-Marie Faiola. I tried a dozen different things before surrendering to the idea of Bulletproof Coffee.
You have probably heard at least an inkling about Bulletproof coffee, but just in case here is a link to the official Bulletproof Coffee Recipe. It took me a few tries to find a mixture that works for me. The way to my heart is directly through chocolate so I found my answer when I discovered Bulletproof Hot Chocolate. I’m fundamentally cheap so I couldn’t bring myself to forking out the big bucks for a second container so I came up with a recipe for my own version.
No Sugar Drinking Chocolate Recipe
1 cup Cocoa Butter (5 oz by weight)
1 1/2 cups Cocoa Powder (4.2 oz. by weight)
Optional Additional Spices
1/4 tsp. Cardamom
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Tumeric
1 dash fresh ground Black Pepper
1. Use a food processor to blend cocoa butter and cocoa powder together. I used a Magic Bullet.
2. Blend in optional spices.
3. Store in an airtight container.
I am a big fan of beneficial spices—plus I like the added flavor that they bring to the mixture. They are not required, but that is how I make mine.
I am not ready to take care of myself and make a full breakfast in the morning so my own version of Bulletproof Coffee works for me. It takes me a bit to get my chores done, go for a walk and get some basic tasks that must happen each day before I am ready to enjoy breakfast, so I aim for brunch. My improvised version works to buy me that time without running on empty and fills my desire to savor a delicious cup of coffee in the morning.
Keto Style Coffee Recipe
1 cup of Coffee (I use espresso beans)
1 tbsp. No Sugar Drinking Chocolate with Spices
1 tbsp. Grassfed Butter
1 tbsp. MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) Oil
1/2 tbsp. Collagen Powder
1. Brew your coffee. I make pour-over coffee because that’s how my parents made it before it was a cool trend.
2. Blend coffee and all ingredients. It works great in a Magic Bullet, but in a pinch I’ve put it in a to-go container and given it a gentle shake.
This is how my friend Anne-Marie describes drinking Bulletproof coffee, “It makes me feel like I’m a unicorn riding on a rainbow.” I’m personally not predisposed to the unicorn and rainbow life, but it works for me.
There are several version of MCT Oil available and even some powdered ones. Here are a few I have tried:
- Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil
- Bulletproof XCT Oil
- Premium MCT Oil
- plnt Non-GMO Liquid Coconut Oil
- Quest Nutrition MCT Powder Oil
You can also find many different collagen powders. My research on bone broth sold me on getting a bone broth version, but here are some I’ve tried:
- Vital Proteins Pasture-Raised, Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides
- Neocell Super Powder Collagen
- Ancient Nutrition Bone Broth Collagen
Food Grade Cocoa Butter
- Raw Organic Cocoa Butter Wafers, Unrefined, Non-Deodorized, Food Grade Cacao Wafers
- Cocoa Butter Wafers Unrefined Organic
You may also be interested in: