Sugar bacon was a new discovery for me when we moved to the South and I found Sugar Bacon and Deviled Eggs on the menu at Bricktops. I thought that all Southern’s knew about Sugar Bacon until I brought it up to a lot of natives who had never had it. It is SO easy to make and amazingly good. The bacon fat mixes with the sugar to create a delicious caramel like coating.
Sugar Bacon Recipe
1 package good quality bacon (I used Hormel, Natural Choice, Uncured Bacon)
1/2 to 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Line a baking dish or cookie pan that has a lip with aluminum foil
3. Coat a thin layer of brown sugar onto the foil
4. Arrange bacon onto the brown sugar side by side, not overlapping.
5. Put baking dish in the center rack of the preheated oven
6. Set a timer for 10 minutes, come back and look at it to be sure bacon is cooking evenly, turn them over if necessary.
7. Set timer for another 10 minutes. Your bacon should be ready now. It should appear evenly glazed. Take it out of the oven and turn over the bacon to allow heat from pan to finish any cooking necessary.
Really, once you have this y’all might hate me for introducing you to such a sinful delight!