Need to feed a Vegan at your holiday meals? Or simply looking for something different to cook this holiday season? This Savory Pumpkin Recipe passed the test for my Vegan dad last year, and it tasted delicious enough to serve to any vegetable loving crowd. I made this in small individual sized pumpkins, but you could double the recipe and put it in a bigger pumpkin.
1 Whole Garlic Clove
1 Whole small pumpkin
2 Rosemary springs
6-8 ounces cubed Butternut squash
1 Portabella mushroom
1/2 of a Red Onion
1 Tbsp. Sundried tomatoe paste
1/2 cup Cherry tomatoes
1/2 Tsp. Hungarian paprika
1/2 Tsp. Tarragon
1 Tsp. Mixed Italian herbs
1/2 Tsp. Oregano
1/2 Tsp. Sumac
1. Roast Whole Garlic Clove by wrapping it in tin foil and baking for up to 1 hour.
2. Cut top of pumpkin off. Remove all seeds and meat from the inside. Make sure you cut at an angle so that the top won’t fall in.
3. Coat inside of pumpkin with olive oil. Put in 4-6 cloves of roasted garlic and 1 spring of rosemary and replace lid. Wrap pumpkin in tin foil and bake for 1 hour.
4. In a pan sauté ½ chopped red onion, 6-8 chopped roasted garlic cloves, 6-8 ounces of cubed butternut squash, and 1 portabella mushroom cubbed in olive oil. While cooking add salt, pepper, 1 spring rosemary, sundried tomato paste, Hungarian paprika, tarragon, mixed Italian herbs, oregano and sumac. Taste and spice as needed.
5. Removed garlic cloves and rosemary sprig from baked pumpkin. Remove rosemary spring from the sauté as well. Stuff the pumpkin with filling, replace the lid and bake for 30-60 minutes.