My first business was a restaurant. We served two from scratch soups per day. I made up a lot of soup recipes during that time. This Peanut Chicken Soup recipe is one of my all-time favorites from the time.
Peanut Chicken Soup Recipe
1 whole Chicken
1 tbsp Red Miso
4-6 Garlic Cloves, chopped
1 finger Ginger, grated
1 bunch Cilantro, chopped
32 ounces Chicken Broth
3 tbsp Tamari (or Soy Sauce)
3 tbsp Lime Juice, fresh squeezed
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1 can Coconut Milk (13.5 ounces)
3/4 cup Sweet Chili Sauce
2/3-1 cup Peanut Butter
1. Make your broth: Simply add the raw chicken to a large pot, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer until the chicken is fully cooked. Keep the broth. Cool the chicken and remove chicken from the bone. (If you’re short on time, skip this step and use a second 32-ounce chicken broth and add shredded rotisserie chicken.)
2. While it’s cooking chop the garlic and cilantro and grate the ginger.
3. To your saved broth shredded chicken add miso, garlic, cilantro, tamari, lime juice, orange juice, coconut milk, sweet chili sauce, peanut butter, and chicken broth.
4. Stir and cook on medium low for 10-20 minutes.
5. Add 1/4 to 1/2 of the bunch of cilantro. Save the extra for adding at the table for extra flavor if desired. Cook for an additional 10 minutes while stirring occasionally and taste testing.
6. Serve with the extra cilantro, lime wedges, and/or chili paste to allow seasoning at the table.
Optional: Tofu in place of it in addition to chicken. Grated carrots also are a nice optional addition while cooking.