Honey caramels are one of my favorite recipes. This recipe is super simple and delicious. I normally use organic ingredients, but it can be made either way.
1 1/3 cup Organic Honey
½ cup Organic Butter
2 cups Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
1.In a heavy saucepan combine honey, butter and 1 cup of the heavy cream.
2. Set the 2nd cup of cream aside for later.
3. Bring contents of saucepan to a rolling boil while stirring frequently. This is a great time to Twitteror surf Facebookwith your other hand because it takes awhile to cook and stir until the mixture darkens and thickens.
4. After the mixture darkens and thickens add the 2nd cup of heavy cream
5. Bring the mixture back up to a rolling boil and stir frequently. Again this is a good time to spend sometime on your favorite social media or read.
6. Cook until the mixture forms a fairly firm ball when dropped into cold water. If you have a candy thermometer the temperature should be between 244-250 degrees F.
7. Pour mixture into lightly buttered 8 x 8 inch glass pan and cool
8. Once cool cut into 1 inch squares and wrap individually with wax paper
1.For Caramel Popcorn – while warm pour off prepared popcorn and enjoy warm.
2. For Caramel Apples – cool slightly and serve with sliced apples
3. For Salted Caramels – before wrapping sliced squares top with a pinch of sea salt
4. For Lavender Caramels – before wrapping sliced squares add 3 to 5 lavender buds to each before wrapping
5. For Salted Lavender Caramels – before wrapping sliced squares add a pinch of sea salt and 3 to 5 lavender buds before wrapping.
I like to keep my finished caramels in the fridge but they never last long enough to require it.