I love kitchen gadgets. For our wedding anniversary my husband gave me a gift certificate for Williams-Sonoma. I used it to buy myself a Breville Smart Scoop Ice Cream Machine. I’ve been having fun all summer experimenting with flavors and dairy sources. My favorite this weekend is the Mocha Crunch Ice Cream recipe I made up today. It is amazing!
Mocha Crunch Ice Cream Recipe
1 3/4 cups Half and Half
1 1/2 cups Chocolate Milk
2 Tbsp. Instant Espresso (I used Medaglia D’oro)
3 Egg Yokes
1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 Tsp. salt
2/3 cup Heath English Toffee Bits
1. In a heavy saucepan combine Half and Half, Chocolate Milk and Instant Espresso. Slowly warm over medium heat while stirring occasionally until the mixture comes to a light simmer.
2. At the same time add Egg Yolks, Sugar and Milk together to a heat proof container and whisk vigorously. I used my Kitchen Aid mixer but a handheld mixer would work just was well. The egg mixture will change colors and increase in volume.
3. Take a moment to set up an ice bath before you create your custard in the next phase. To create an ice bath nestle a smaller heat proof bowl into a larger bowl filled with ice and water. Set aside.
4. Remove a cup of warm milk from your saucepan and pour it slowly into your egg mixture while whisking.
5. Once mixed add this egg mixture into your saucepan of warm milk and continue to heat this new mixture while stirring. Within a few minutes your mixture will become custard like.
5. Pour mixture into the bowl resting in an ice bath. Stir occasionally. Once the steam stops rising from your mixture put the bowl into the refrigerator to cool for 2-4 hours.
6. Follow the directions on your ice cream machine.
7. If your machine has a step for putting add-ins while it churns add the Heath English Toffee bits as directed. Otherwise mix them in prior to step 8.
8. Once your machine cycle is done spoon your mixture into a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 2 hours.