I love the hint of lavender in my baked goods, which means I’m always trying out new things. I vetoed the first batch, but hit a home run when I rethought my base and started again. This recipe is actually quite yummy and could be made with or without the lavender.
Lemon Lavender Poppy Seed Muffins
2 cups Flour
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Grated Lemon Zest
2 Tbsp Poppyseeds
1 Tbsp Culinary Lavender Buds
1 cup Milk
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Mayonnaise (can use butter or oil)
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup Powdered Sugar
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/4 Tsp Lemon Extract
1/2 Tsp Culinary Lavender Buds
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2.Crush lavender buds between your fingers for use in both dry ingredients and frosting.
3. Mix all dry ingredients and set aside.
4. Whisk wet ingredients.
5. Beat together dry and wet ingredients.
6. Pour into lined muffin tins filling each one about 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 15 minutes, check doneness by inserting a fork through the center. Bake until fork comes out dry.
8. Mix frosting and while muffins are still warm, but not hot, dip the tops of the muffins into the frosting. Allow to cool.