The only thing I love more than Lemon Gelato is Lemon Lavender Ice Cream.
- 3 Cups Half and Half
- 2 Tbsp Lavender Buds
- ¾ Cup FRESH squeezed Lemon Juice
- Zested Peel of 1 Lemon
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 5 Egg Yokes
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- In a heavy saucepan combine Half & Half and Lavender Buds. Slowly warm over medium heat while stirring occasionally until the mixture comes to a light simmer.
- At the same time add Egg Yolks, Sugar and Salt together to a heat proof container and whisk vigorously. I used my Kitchen Aid mixer but a handheld mixer would work just was well. The egg mixture will change colors and increase in volume.
- Take a moment to set up an ice bath before you create your custard in the next phase. To create an ice bath nestle a smaller heat proof bowl into a larger bowl filled with ice and water. Set aside.
- Remove a cup of warm Half and Half from your saucepan and pour it slowly into your egg mixture while whisking.
- Once mixed add this egg mixture into your saucepan of warm Half and Half. Continue to heat this new mixture while stirring. Within a few minutes your mixture will become custard like.
- After you create a custard add the lemon juice.
- Pour mixture through a fine-mesh sieve (to remove leaves) into the bowl resting in an ice bath. Stir occasionally. Once the steam stops rising from your mixture put the bowl into the refrigerator to cool for 2-4 hours.
- Follow the directions on your ice cream machine.
- Once your machine cycle is done spoon your mixture into a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- For added Lavender flavor you can mix 1 Tsp. Lavender Buds with 3 Tbsp. Sugar in a food processor. This will make a light and flavorful Lavender Sugar. You can dust the Lavender Sugar onto Lavender Lemon Ice Cream just before serving.