There is nothing that reminds me of the holiday season more than my Mom’s Banana Bread. We had banana bread every year during the holidays for as far back as my memory goes. In my house banana bread is always in season. I hate to see an over ripe banana go to waste so I make this recipe whenever I have at least 4 over-ripe bananas at one time. Today was such a day.
Hurry check your kitchen now for some over-ripe bananas and follow the recipe below. The secret that makes this banana bread better than any you have ever tried before is the sour milk.
Mamma Mohs’ Banana Bread
2 cups of flour
1 pinch of salt
1 cup agave nectar
½ cup of butter
4 over-ripe bananas
3 teaspoons milk
½ teaspoon vinegar
½ teaspoon agave nectar (or sugar)
1 teaspoon baking soda
Dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F and lightly grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan OR use muffin trays.
2. Mix together flour and salt and set aside. If you use sugar instead of agave add it in this step.
3. In a separate bowl mix together eggs, butter and over-ripe bananas. If you use agave instead of sugar add it to this step.
4. Mix dry ingredients (from step 2) into wet ingredients (from step 3) and blend thoroughly.
5. In a separate bowl mix make sour milk by mixing together milk, vinegar, agave (or sugar) and baking soda. There will be a small reaction when you stir it up. Add sour milk to the batter (from step 4).
6. If you chose to mix in one of the ingredients from the variations list do it now.
7. Pour into prepared loaf pan or muffin trays. This bread will rise so make sure that you leave room for it to rise. The size of the batch varies depending on the size of the bananas used. If you have a little left over when you pour the batter into a loaf pan simply make a few muffins with the excess.
8. Bake loaf pan for 1 hour. If you make muffins bake muffins for 20 minutes. Check to see if it is done by inserting a clean fork into center of the loaf until it comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
Serve warm or cool. It tastes delicious either way. Serve the bread plain, with butter or with softened cream cheese.
Leave a Reply