If you are a fan of mint chocolate chip ice cream you will LOVE this recipe. The flavor from real mint is amazing in this recipe.
Double Mint Ice Cream
Author: Kayla Fioravanti
- 1¾ cups Heavy Cream
- 1½ cups Half & Half (or Whole Milk)
- 1 cup Fresh Mint Leaves
- 4 Egg Yokes
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ⅛ Tsp. salt
- 3 Full size YORK Peppermint Patties or 4.2 ounces worth of other sizes
- In a heavy saucepan combine Heavy Cream, Half & Half (if you want super rich ice cream) or Whole Milk (if you want to cut back some calories) and Peppermint Leaves. Slowly warm over medium heat while stirring occasionally until the mixture comes to a light simmer.
- At the same time add Egg Yolks, Sugar and Salt together to a heat proof container and whisk vigorously. I used my Kitchen Aid mixer but a handheld mixer would work just was well. The egg mixture will change colors and increase in volume.
- Take a moment to set up an ice bath before you create your custard in the next phase. To create an ice bath nestle a smaller heat proof bowl into a larger bowl filled with ice and water. Set aside.
- Remove a cup of warm milk from your saucepan and pour it slowly into your egg mixture while whisking.
- Once mixed add this egg mixture into your saucepan of warm milk and continue to heat this new mixture while stirring. Within a few minutes your mixture will become custard like.
- Pour mixture through a fine-mesh sieve (to remove leaves) into the bowl resting in an ice bath. Stir occasionally. Once the steam stops rising from your mixture put the bowl into the refrigerator to cool for 2-4 hours. In the meantime put the YORK Peppermint Patties into the freezer. Once they are cold chop them up to use later in step 7.
- Follow the directions on your ice cream machine.
- If your machine has a step for putting add-ins while it churns add the YOUR Peppermint Patties as directed. Otherwise mix them in prior to step 8.
- Once your machine cycle is done spoon your mixture into a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 2 hours.