I have a confession to make. My natural medicine cabinet contains more than just essential oils. Shocking, right? How could a certified aromatherapist possibly turn to anything other than essential oils?
Because after 20 years of aromatherapy experience I know that essential oils are not the cure to everything. There isn’t always an oil for that. Heresy! I know, but it is true. This from a woman who sells essential oils and teaches aromatherapy?
Yes—essential oils are amazing, wonderful, miraculous and healing—but they are not the answer to everything. Over use, especially of undiluted essential oils, can cause sensitization. My goal as an aromatherapist is to teach people who to safely use essential oils for a lifetime. I’ve blogged here and am now blogging on my new site Ology Essentials about safety and myths. I love essential oils, but believe it or not there is more to my arsenal of natural remedies than aromatherapy.
My Top 5 Natural Remedies
- Essential Oils: My Achilles Heel is my respiratory system so my go-to essential oils are Laurel Leaf, Ravensara, Niaouli, Eucalyptus and the Ology Essentials Inhale Blend. Even on the dreariest of days we will have people make their way to our store Work+Shop Create to grab a bottle of Inhale based on smelling it on someone else or word-of-mouth.
- Fire Cider: I almost always have a bottle of fire cider brewing and one in the fridge ready to use. (If you follow me on Facebook you know I recently actually ran out and got the flu!) You better bet that there is a fresh batch brewing right now. Here is my version of the famous Fire Cider Recipe.
- Elderberry Syrup: I keep Elderberry Syrup in my fridge at all times. I make my own because I like to control what goes in it and it is cheaper. I am an Amazon Prime member so I generally buy my Elderberries there because of the free shipping. I also use Hibiscus in my version. My Elderberry + Hibiscus Recipe is quite tasty.
- Oregano Herb: I use Gaia Herbs Oil of Oregano Liquid Phyto-Capsules. I’ve tried pretty much every brand on the market and this one is the best in my opinion. I take the maximum dosage when I start to feel under the weather. Otherwise I don’t take it regularly. I am prone to becoming allergic to things to I save usage for when I really need it.
- Hemp CBD Oil: I discovered the amazing power of Hemp CBD Oil when all else failed me, including all natural remedies and modern medicine. I had been hearing talk about Hemp CBD Oil, but since I didn’t know the science behind it, I was skeptical. I ordered a sample, did the research and gave it a try. I had been trying to avoid a major surgery by throwing aromatherapy, herbs and modern medicine at the problem. Nothing made even the slightest impact. Trips to Urgent Care and repeat visits with the doctor were becoming a regular thing. My out-of-pocket expenses have been paid for the year so I made a deal with my doctor that I’d have the surgery no later than the end of December. Enter, Hemp CBD Oil, in November 2017. Within 3 days I was able to cancel surgery. I am sold for life on Hemp CBD Oil. Learn the science behind Hemp CBD Oil here.
This is not the end all of natural remedies. I am always trying new things. In fact the next thing I’m going to make is Garlic Honey using a recipe shared with me by my friend Elizabeth Hill. And I’ve recently become fascinated by Mushroom Medicine after listening to Will Cafaro from Orenda teach a workshop at Work+Shop Create.
[…] Confessions of an Aromatherapist […]