The mental switch from employee to self-employed was flipped for me when I joined Amway in 1992. One of the greatest lessons I learned in Amway was the power of reading business books. I learned a whole lot of other hard lessons in Amway, but that is another story from another day.
The message that has remained ingrained in my mind from that time, “Garbage in, garbage out. Positive in, positive out.” That message still influences what I read, listen to, watch on TV or at the movies and the people I associate with.
Here are a few of my favorites
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie (and now I am curious to read the new version How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age by Dale Carnegie & Associates)
- The Go-Getter by Peter B. Kyne
- Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die by Chip Heath
- Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies by Jim Collins
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users by Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick
Here are a few suggested by my friends
- From Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap . . . And Others Don’t by Jim Collins (also one of my favorites) suggested by Kristen M. Fusaro-Pizzo, CandleMoments.net
- Who Moved My Cheese?: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life by Spencer Johnson suggested by Kristen M. Fusaro-Pizzo (also one of my favorites)
- Evil Plans: Having Fun on the Road to World Domination by Hugh MacLeod suggested by TG Barnes, Holistic Wellness Coach
- The Go-Giver by Bob Burg suggested by TG Barnes
- The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand by Judith Orloff suggested by Lisa Wilson Rogers
- Crush It!: Why NOW is the Time to Cash in on Your Passion by Gary Vaynerchuk suggested by Beth Learn, Fit2B.us
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons of Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey suggested by Anne-Marie Faiola, Brambleberry
- The Success Principle: How to Get From Where You are to Where You Want to Be by Jack Canfield suggested by Donna Maria, Indie Business Network
- Shackleton’s Way: Leadership Lesson from the Great Antarctic Explorer by Margot Morrell suggested by Lisa Wilson Rogers
- EntreLeadership: 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches by Dave Ramsey suggested by Holly Port, Lotion Bar Cafe
- iBloom in Business: Equipping You to Build a Successful Business while Living a Life You Love! By Kelly Thorne Gore suggested by Holly Port
- The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller suggested by Cheri Perry, Total Merchant Concepts
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek suggested by Cheri Perry
- See You At The Top: 25th Anniversary Edition by Zig Ziglar suggested by Cheri Perry
- Lead The Field (6 CD UNABRIDGED + 1 CD Workbook) by Earl Nighingale suggested by Cheri Perry
- The 5 Secrets of a Phenomenal Business by Howard Partridge suggested by Cheri Perry
- The Power of Focus: How to Hit Your Business, Personal and Financial Targets with Absolute Confidence and Certainty by Jack Canfield suggested by Benjamin Aaron, The Imperial Drifter
- The 10X Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure by Grant Cardone suggested by Benjamin Aaron, How to Sell Soap
On Selah-Press.com you can read my Recommended Books for Writers.
What are some of your favorite business books?