Perfectly Smooth Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
Author: Kayla Fioravanti
Recipe type: Desserts
I have tried several chocolate ice cream recipes that have left me disappointed. The recipes have turned out too rich, and sometimes waxy or gritty. I set out to figure out a way to get a wonderful chocolate flavor without adding solid chocolate. I’m thrilled to share my new perfectly smooth chocolate ice cream recipe.
- 1 cup Half and Half
- 2 cups Chocolate Milk
- ¾ cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 8 Egg Yokes
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
- In a heavy saucepan combine Half and Half, Chocolate Milk and Sweetened Condensed Milk. Slowly warm over medium heat while stirring occasionally until the mixture comes to a light simmer.
- At the same time add Egg Yolks, Sugar and Salt together to a heat proof container and whisk vigorously. I used my Kitchen Aid mixer but a handheld mixer would work just was well. The egg mixture will change colors and increase in volume. Once it increases in volume add Cocoa Powder.
- Take a moment to set up an ice bath before you create your custard in the next phase. To create an ice bath nestle a smaller heat proof bowl into a larger bowl filled with ice and water. Set aside.
- Remove a cup of warm milk mixture from your saucepan and pour it slowly into your egg mixture while whisking.
- Once mixed add this egg mixture into your saucepan of warm milk and continue to heat this new mixture while stirring. Within a few minutes your mixture will become custard like.
- Pour mixture into the bowl resting in an ice bath. Stir occasionally. Once the steam stops rising from your mixture put the bowl into the refrigerator to cool for 2-4 hours.
- Follow the directions on your ice cream machine.
- If your machine has a step for putting add-ins while it churns you can add any nuts, chopped up chocolate, peanut butter or other solid that you want added to your chocolate ice cream.
- Once your machine cycle is done spoon your mixture into a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Serve plain, with fruit, in cone or straight out of the container!